Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

I have a female cat that is pregnant. She has been spotting

Customer Question

I have a female cat that is pregnant. She has been spotting blood since yesterday morning(thats when we noticed). She is a outdoor alley cat. My husband likes to feed them so now we have a group of cats. She has had one litter before, all survived, great mom, no problems. She hasn't been pregnant for to long. She started showing maybe 2-3wks ago. She is not as big as she was last time at all. I'm guessing she's losing them. Like I said I noticed the spotting yesterday morning and it has gotten heavier and darker. I'm going to put her in a cage with a blanket in my house, she wants to come in, and let her relax alone. I'm just scared about her bleeding out. Should I wait or go get her checked now?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. In this case, it would really be ideal to have her checked at this stage. She doesn't sound to be bleeding out. Still, if she has been looking pregnant for the past 3 weeks, she likely is nearly due. They don't usually look overly pregnant until 5-6 weeks and feline pregnancies are only 9 weeks long. So, she isn't necessarily losing the kittens (and if she did she'd have to deliver them with how far advanced she is) but this could be a sign of birth complications here. So, since blood is never normal to see outside of labour, we'd really want this checked to head off any problems. And if your vet did find the kittens were compromised or she was at risk, they could do a c-section now to deliver kittens but also spay her at the same time so she cannot have any more.Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.