Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat got beat up by another cat. He's seen the

Customer Question

Hey There - my cat got beat up by another cat. He's seen the vet, who cleaned up the wound, and now he has an e-collar on. How do I know when the wound has sufficiently healed, so the e-collar can come off? It was quite deep - like the entire chunk of skin got taken off, not merely sliced open, and about 1/3" across. Now it's really dry, the edges are pulling together, and it looks crunchy. About the stage where I'd pick it off, if it were on me. Is it too soon to take off the collar? Thanks!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. thanks for the question. these wounds typically take 1-2 weeks to heal completely. I would leave the e-collar on for a good 3-5 days. After that time, you can take it off when you're with him. When you're not with him, put it back on. After 10-14 days, it can come off for good. At that time, the wound should be sufficiently healed and closed. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Dr. G.! What I want to get clear on is, what would the wound *look like*, when it is sufficiently healed to take it off? Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
As it heals, it'll turn a red/ pink color and it'll be puffy- called granulation tissue.Later, the skin starts to close the gap and it'll be crusted over some. This is the point where it's ok to remove the e-collar for good. When that skin re-forms, you're in the clear.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK, so making sure I understand ...
At the point where it's crusty, it's OK to remove the collar for *good*, not just when I am around?
(I'm not sure what you mean by the part about being "in the clear," as opposed to time to remove the collar.
Thanks again!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Once there is a good connection of the skin, even though there are some scabs and crusts, it should be ok to remove the e-collar at that point. Some heal up quickly within a week. Others may take a good 2 weeks or more if there was a large gap. You are more than welcome to post pictures of how the wounds look here- I can help you as for when to remove the e-collar.