Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Persian cat eye dark drainage

Customer Question

Persian cat eye dark drainage
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 7 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that your Persian kitty is having eye drainage. I'll do my best to help. Eye drainage in kitties can be a symptom of a variety of issues. In a brachycephalic cat (one that has the pushed in nose like your Persian kitty), eye drainage is very common and frequently caused by blocked tear ducts or chronic viral respiratory illnesses like feline herpes virus. If there is green or yellow discharge or severe swelling of the conjunctiva or redness of the eye, that's when we suspect that there is also a bacterial infection. Air quality issues (irritants or allergens) can also cause a good bit of eye drainage. Usually the actual drainage is clear - that makes the dark color is the bacteria on the skin that produce pigment when the moisture hits the fur and skin. I've seen brachycephalic cats have severe dermatitis (inflamed skin) around the eyes just caused by the moisture from normal tearing. Foreign objects under the lids or stuck in the lashes can also exacerbate tearing. Sometimes the crusted material itself causes more tearing. Also, in some cases we can see rolling of the eye lids inward (called entropion) where the lid rolls inward and the fur rubs against the cornea causing significant tearing. The best way to get to the bottom of eye drainage would be to have your vet do an exam - some of these illnesses are quite easy to diagnose on physical exam, while others may require some testing.Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)