Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My name is ***** ***** I was looking up info about our cat.

Customer Question

Hi My name is ***** ***** I was looking up info about our cat. He appears to be feeling sick. He is in a chair panting and crying
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is a 13-14 year old Maine Coone He has always had stomach issues, but overall very healthy He was up and about an hour ago and now he is in a chair crying, panting. His pupils are huge and I think he has urinated in the chair
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Cat Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
His eyes are open but he has been very unresponsive for the last few minutes
I guess I need to just take him to the vet.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat. Panting can be a serious sign in cats. Yes, you should get him to a vet as fast as you can. Let me know how he is doing.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
How is he doing?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We are still waiting to bring him home. He spent the night at the hospital. They x-rayed and found an inflammation of the lungs. He spent most of the day in an oxygen cage and they gave him fluids and antibiotics. We have transferred him to his regular vet who is continuing treatment for pneumonia.
Now I am trying to figure out what exactly is going on. I am having to drag information out of these people.
He was up and around showing no signs of distress and then within an hour he was having breathing difficulties. Is this normal for the onset of something like this? And how do I know what caused it? What type of pneumonia? I don't want to bring him home and just have him relapse.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
I am sorry to hear you have more questions than answers. I am glad to hear he is still with us; your description of his dilated pupils and being unresponsive made me worry he might not make it. Cats will try to hide their illnesses and symptoms as long as they can, and will often go from looking normal to terrible in a short time with chronic diseases like cancer, kidney disease, etc. You are correct, pneumonia usually does not come on that fast. To know what kind of pneumonia (viral, aspiration, bacterial, fungal) he has, I would need to see his medical records, what tests have been done, etc. Thank you for the update. Please let me know how he is doing and what else I can help with.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
How is your cat doing?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?