Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I just adopted a 2 month old male kitten today from an animal

Customer Question

Hi I just adopted a 2 month old male kitten today from an animal rescue centre. just 20 minutes after i brought him home he started to throw up and has thrown up over 6 times all evening and has not eaten anything
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: he likes to sit in water he went and sat inside the bowl of water i gave him i was asked by a vet an hour ago to give him a drop of saline rehydration solution and a drop of metoclopramide HCl
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Cat Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Poor lad! Can you tell me what his vomit looks like?Can he drink and can he keep water down?Did this vet examine him before having you start treatment?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?Has he had any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi
He does not eat or drink anything. his vomit has been yellowish and foamy
i just brought him home 5 hours ago and since then he has not eaten anything including items he should not have. please note that this is an indian town with a temperatue of 45 degrees celcius
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it was too late in the day to take him to a vet so i had to consult one on the phone before beginning the treatment
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
he has had no diarrhoea
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you,In that case, can you tell me how long ago he had the Metoclopramide?What was the milligrams per ml on the bottle?Can you give me an idea of how much he weighs?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have attached a couple of photos. i am really desperate and by the looks of it he may not survive the night! please advice!
he seems very restless and keeps shifting inside the box he is in
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i hope you have some answer for me! :(
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
I am typing my reply and will post shortly.Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello again,I certainly share your concerns about this poor lad.I have to say that if this was my patient, I would have him hospitalized for IV fluids. Or at the very least subcutaneous fluids given under the skin.The reason I was asking about the Metoclopramide is because if it was given orally and he is vomiting, its likely to do little to help here. As well, it is not advisable to be giving if he hasn't been examined since it is a prokinetic and can worsen blockage (from non-edible items, worms, gut telescoping on itself. So, its not always safe to give. As well, I am trying to get more information so I can determine how much you gave and if there is scope to safely give any more. So, any information on that would be helpful.....
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Otherwise, you are in a catch-22 and we'd have to consider an ER vet visit. This is because we cannot hydrated him orally if he is vomiting. It will just make him do so more. The same is an issue for feeding him. Though at the very least, we can try boosting his blood sugar by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into his and hopefully perk him up for us. And that may be all you can do tonight until he can be seen.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
im afraid i dont have the luxury of an er for animals here..also he has not vomited since the meto solution (1 drop)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i cannot stop crying because he does not seem like he will make it for more than a few hours. i have tried feediig diluted cow's milk as well as plain water
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Overall, this little one is in a terrible situation and looks quite weak and compromised. Realistically, we'd have wanted him on fluids from the local vet and injectable anti-nausea treatment. If you can provide those further details about the Metoclopramide then we can see if more can be given to give this poor lad a chance. Or if he has settled with that, try the glucose syrup now. If he perks up, we can rest his stomach with a view to offering small meals in a few hours to see if he can keep that down for us.Please take care,Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Feed the glucose syrup, then boiled chicken or white fish. No cows milk as it will cause GI upset too.Dr. B.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
he has not closed his eyes or even blinked for an hour now but he is still breathing and is awfully restless and keeps shifting positions
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hi again,I am sorry to hear that and I do have to say that it is not good to hear. If possible, try ringing the rescue or the vet you did before. This is vert serious for this poor boy. In the meantime, do as I have noted but also consider lubricating his eyes with artificial tears to keep him from getting an ulcer. And again that restlessness tells us there is discomfort and a blockage is a real worry.Best wishes for this poor little one,Dr.B.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thank you so much..
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.My thoughts are with you with this little lad,Dr. B.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi..he just died about 20 minutes ago in my hands..
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
I am so sorry to hear that he has passed. It is just so unfortunate that the local vet you spoke to didn't take him in for emergency treatment.Please take care,Dr. B.