Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

I think my cat got sick from killer

Customer Question

I think my cat got sick from weed killer
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The weed killer was trimenac I'am not sure of the spelling
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: Can you tell me what the active ingredient in the product is (since your spelling is not right and I cannot find that brand)?How long ago did he get into it?How much did he have?What signs are you seeing specifically?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
active ingredient is demethyamline salt 2-4 dichiorophanoxyaectic
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yesterday morning around 11:00 , I think he walked through it , he was ok till last night. Now he just lays around he won't drink or eat.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you,Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Any changes to his breathing or tremors?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
His gums are light pink some lip licking little retching.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All he wants to do is sleep
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you,While no signs of being unwell are ideal, I am glad to hear that he is just lethargic with nausea. This is because in high enough doses, we can actually see tremors, seizures, and breathing difficulties. So, if we are not seeing those, that does suggest that we have a low dose exposure as opposed to a high one that would absolutely require urgent care from his vet. With that aside, while we do need to tread with care (since cats cannot be off food for long), there are some options you can try at home. To start, you can try to soothe his stomach and this nausea he is showing with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though I would note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet. Once that has had time to absorb and he is steadier on his stomach, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free), or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset.Or if he cannot be tempted and isn't actively vomiting, then we may need to syringe feed at this point. To syringe feed, we can water down calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned kitten food) or use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Catsure). As well, there are paste supplements (ie Nutrical) that can also be used. And these will all get more in per bite even if we cannot get much in.As well, since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue for him (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).Overall, we do need to tread with care here with your lad. He thankfully hasn't severe signs of exposure but we do need to soothe his stomach and see if we can get him eating and drinking. If we can, we're happy. But if he refuses, then we may need to have his local vet start him on injectable anti-nausea treatment, IV fluids and appetite stimulants to get him settled and feeling like himself.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )