Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

My outdoor rescued cat came home over a week age looking like

Customer Question

my outdoor rescued cat came home over a week age looking like she had been in a fight. Eye was weeping then swollen shut the it opened and looks back to normal. She rested on her pillow bed did not eat much for several day her coat looked disheveled after about a week she let me touch her head and i could feel scabs under her neck the was matted hair like it might be stuck together with blood. Several more days passed I approached her she let mer pet her. She was three stairs up and i got a look at her neck. The matted hair was pulled way and I could see the ligaments and muscles that should be under her skin. There was no oozing, not blood and no puss visible. She seems much better than before, but this was very upsetting and I have no idea if this can heal with a scar or what. She is not an easy cat to catch and put in a kennel for transport she doesn't let me put two hands on her. She seems to be healing herself, but the muscle appears exposed. Can cats heal their wounds where muscle is exposed?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 7 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.I am so sorry for your concerns about your cat's injury. It sounds like she probably was bitten by another cat, developed an abscess & after a few days, ruptured out.The wound looks pretty ugly now, but it will heal just fine. If she would let you handle her, you could gently keep the area clean with warm water. No soaps or cleaners are necessary. Again, if she would tolerate this, spraying the wound with Vetericyn ( available over the counter at the bigger pet stores ) will help with healing, but is not absolutely necessary.Try to keep her indoors. The exposed wound could attract flies & you do not want to have to deal with that.So, she should heal just fine from this point on.I just want to add that hopefully she is up to date on all of her vaccinations. If not, try to do this as this is important for cats that do go outdoors, even on occassion.I hope this has addressed your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.Thank you.