Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have a cat, Chloe who is very lovable with people but territorial.

Customer Question

I have a cat, Chloe who is very lovable with people but territorial. She gets along okay with the two cats who were already here before her but since out mother's death last year my brother and sister-in-law have moved in with two cats. She attacks them. I have tried working with a cat behaviorist and my veterinarian. We have tried putting her on Prozac and Xanax and so far it is not making any difference with her behavior towards the two new cats. This has been going on for a while. I keep her in my bedroom and she seems to do fine with me. We are very attached. My concern is is keeping her in my bedroom unfair to her quality of life. I do not know what to do. Find her a new, loving home or keep her with me in the bedroom. Is this fair to her? It breaks my heart. Thank you.
--Michael S. Love ***@******.***
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, Michael. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help. Now Chloe's feelings about the other cats is actually very common and the female feline default behaviour. This is because instinctually cats are solitary creatures that prefer not to share a territory. This drive and mind set can be more firm in some cat's minds than others and sounds to be very much the case for her. To her, she has made a truce with the established cats but she perceives the other cats as invaders to the territory that need to be driven away (and we can relate since we'd feel the same if 2 strangers just arrived and proceeded to move in).In some cases, de-stressing techniques and medications can help, but it does sound like you have exhausted those avenues with her. Therefore, really, she is giving us an ultimatum. In a perfect world, the other 2 cats would go and she could resume her full territory. If that is not possible, then we need to look at her. If she is happy in her reduced bedroom territory and not stressed; then Chloe can remains as she is. Its not ideal (perhaps there is scope to put the other 2 away at times so she can have access to the rest of the house, divide the house in 2 so she has more space, take her outside on a cat lead, or build an enclosure outside for her to explore at times) but as a cat in a studio flat would accept a small territory, she may do so. So, its not the size of the territory as much as how she copes with restricted space. Otherwise, if she isn't coping, is stressed all the time, and not happy; then we'd have to think about rehoming her to a single cat household. Hopefully, that won't be necessary since I do get the impression that she is happy to be with you even under the circumstances. Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.