Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I took a feral cat to the vet and found out that the ligaments

Customer Question

I took a feral cat to the vet and found out that the ligaments in his rear right leg are destroyed. Surgery was recommended, but I can not afford it. I have decided to just take him in and love him. Will he be ok with the use of only three legs? The other one he holds up tight to his hip. Thank you so much.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about this kitty! There are many cats the function with only three legs just wonderfully. The question with this guy is, will his condition be painful to him for his entire life, and will the leg that is not functional be in the way when he is trying to walk around. If he is unable to use the leg, it could become an issue if he is having to drag it, it may get sores/wounds/calluses on the leg from not being able to stand on it properly. I would consider keeping him, and if the vet thinks he is painful right now, getting some pain medication for him, and start saving money for eventual surgery in case the leg is getting in his way. In some instances, depending on the injury, it may be cheaper to actually amputate the leg rather than trying to make a repair. This sounds really extreme to a person, but pets get along marvelously with three legs!