Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

What can I give my cat that will be alright ?

Customer Question

What can I give my cat for pain that will be alright for him? I have taken him for tests and the Vet said all his organs and the labs came back fine, he does suffer from asthma and is on an inhaler as needed, I know that he is in pain by how he walks hunched and is not eating as much or very little and I don't know what to do to help him. Can you give me any suggestions?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
You're limited to aspirin dosed at 5 mg/lb with food every 48 hours. Acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and naproxen are toxic to cats. Murphy's vet can prescribe a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as meloxicam but it's "black-labeled" in the USA and so would need your approval for its use. This isn't the case outside of the USA, however. The prescription narcotic tramadol is another good choice particularly for more severe pain. When testing to date hasn't revealed the source of pain in a cat, imaging in the form of X-rays or ultrasound should be considered. A "hunch" in the back often indicates spinal pain due to degenerative disk disease, neoplasia (cancer), or osteoarthritis in the spine but can also be seen secondary to abdominal discomfort.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Hi Katy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?