Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

My cat injured himself by running in to some thing.The vet

Customer Question

My cat injured himself by running in to some thing.The vet said everything was ok that he just had a major black eye.Now about 3 weeks later he back to being himself except his eye is a slightly different color and it doesn't glow in the dark. Do you think that he can still see out of the eye?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that Gray Kitty had the accident with his eye - I'll do my best to help. Your description of his eye not glowing anymore does make me a little concerned that he could have something like a retinal detachment or retinal hemorrhage. If the pupil of the eye you're worried about is fully dilated and doesn't constrict when you shine a bright light into it, then I'd be concerned that he has vision loss. Veterinarians evaluate the vision of individual eyes in a couple of ways. We do what we call a "menace" response, which is where we cover the "good" eye and make a menacing motion (almost like we are pretending to punch the cat in the eye) at the eye we are looking to evaluate. It's important not to make a breeze or touch the whiskers, as any involvement of the whiskers will cause the cat to blink. If the cat doesn't blink in response to this menacing gesture and we are sure we didn't bump or blow the whiskers around, then that could indicate vision loss. The other way I already briefly mentioned - is to shine a bright light into that eye and watch for constriction of the pupil. The visual system of a cat is quite complicated. There can be cases where the cat has normal pupil constriction with light but still cannot see - this is when the issue is at the level of the brain. If I see a cat who doesn't blink on a menace test and has no pupil constriction with the bright light, then that cat is very likely blind in that eye.The best thing to do here is to contact your veterinarian to have a recheck examination to be sure that there are no complications arising from that trauma that need to be treated.Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What about the different color of the eye?
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
I'm afraid that I cannot comment on that since I cannot see it myself. The eye is a complicated organ that can have color changes in different areas that would indicate different issues. Since the eye is best viewed in all three dimensions with a bright light and magnification, it's very difficult to make assessments based on descriptions or even pictures in most cases. Your best best there is to ask a vet who is able to examine his eye in person.~Dr. Sara
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Doc Sara