Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My cats eye are dialated, she is meowing very loud. She is

Customer Question

My cats eye are dialated, she is meowing very loud. She is about 14 years old
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: Will her pupils constrict if you shine a bright light in them?Does she appear blind?If you drop a cotton ball, can her eyes follow that she sees it? Is she bumping into things?Any history of health issues, increased thirst, increased urination or weight loss?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning Kindness, Thank you so kindly for your warm heart in willing to help. My wee one's name is ***** ***** the river. I love her deeply, we have weathered my a storm together. I pray we get through this glitch, fairing well.Niger is not bumping into things.Her eyes did not constrict when I shined a bring light into them, however, she did squint, lower her head and/or looked away.She followed the cottonball and went as far as moving to smell it.Not noticing excessive thirst, I refresh her water bowl daily and it is never empty, I do notice sometimes are night she is lapping out of the water bowl I place in front of the heat vent to add moisture in my bedroom.When I clean her litter box daily there are peer clumps, not sure how many are too many I never kept count.I am primary caretaker for my Dad(86) and Mom(83). Which limits my working ability and income. I recently moved my Cat in with us, within the last 6 or so months. About a month or so into the move I noticed she was a bit thin, I could feel her back bones and she started to loose hair on the back of her neck and on the right side. I saw excessive hair clumps around the house along with hairball she threw up. I treated the bald spots with coconut oil, added cat Omega 3's, salmon oil in her hard food, feeding her sardines and tuna periodically, which I regret she wants that all the time. For treats I give her hairball treats and widows cat milk. I chalked it up to stress and the new surroundings. My parents enjoy her company and she takes naps with my Dad on the livingroom floor, too cute!She has since gained weight and the bald spots are completely gone.She never had any real illnesses since her first and last visit to the vet when she and her brother, Egypt,were babies. When I first got them for my Son for Christmas 14 years ago. Egypt passed away about 5 years ago. He was being treated for stomach cancer.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** have to say that I am glad that she can see and could follow the cotton ball. This was quite important since the most common reason for sudden pupil dilation is blindness. With that aside, we can consider other issues for her inability to constrict her pupils.Now I do hope that there are no drugs, toxins, or chemicals she can get into. If we can rule those out, our most common reason to see both these signs would be an elevation of blood pressure. This can be a primary issue for our elderly cats but it can be secondary to dysfunction of the heart, kidney, or with thyroid disease. All of these could cause weight loss and can also increase thirst and urinary volume. As well, we can also see these signs in brain based isuses (ie brain based bleeds, swelling, infections, toxoplasma, tumors, cysts, etc) . And of course, we could see this with eye based issues (ie uveitis), though often you will be able to see changes to the eyes. With these all in mind and since it is possible that any of these could trigger sudden blindness for Niger, I would strongly advise planning to have her see her vet once they are open. They can examine her, check her eyes, take her blood pressure, +/- check a geriatric blood panel to rule out those systemic issues. Depending on their findings, they can pinpoint which of the above is present and start treatment to clear or manage the ongoing cause. And if we do so at this point, we will be able to avoid any risk of this progressing or blindness for Niger. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you kindly for you expertise. I will follow your asdvise and find a vet within my financial means. Goodday in Godspeed Mr. B
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am very appreciative of and grateful for Mr. B heart felt concern and professionalism to hear my cry for advise and taking on my requests and offering his professional advise, which helped put me to some ease and gave me a direction on moving forward to assist my cat on the path of healing.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.I am glad I could be of aid and wish you both the best,Dr. B..-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: ) **
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Niger. How is everything going?

Dr. B.