Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 7 month old cat just ate a .4 mg Flomax pill from floor

Customer Question

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.
Hello again Kathe I know you must be worried about your cat so have worked out a quick answer for you below ... 1. 1. Flomax { tamsulosin } is primarily used for benign prostatic hyperplasia in human males. 2. As far as I can find this medication does not appear to be toxic to cats on a one off basis as happened to you so you would be taking very few risks in just monitoring your cat.3. However this drug was never meant to used in cats so there are no guarantees. So if you want to take every possible precaution then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your cat sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things may be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK { Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs } 4. However if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have your cat checked over by a vet without delay. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your cat's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me furtherRegards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how your cat is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Flomax incident ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.