petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

I recently got my kitty at a shelter. She is approx. 6-8 mos

Customer Question

I recently got my kitty at a shelter. She is approx. 6-8 mos old, spayed, and I had her front claws removed 2 weeks ago. She was doing fine with her litter box until 4-5 days ago. Since then she has peed on the bathroom rugs 4 times. I sprayed repellant on the floors in both bathrooms, and used a spray I got at the vet's to neutralize the odor. I have closed both doors, and she hasn't peed anywhere else today.She poops in the box,and also has peed there. So she doesn't ALWAYS pee on the rugs. What goes?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Gracie today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you. I would definitely start with a thorough physical exam and a urinalysis on Gracie. In a cat of her age and with these symptoms, the odds of a urinary tract infection are very low. When a cat is having any issue that leads to urinary discomfort, they will often associate the litter box with that discomfort and develop a litter box aversion. Urinary discomfort can occur with multiple issue, not just infections, all part of the syndrome referred to as feline lower urinary tract disease (FLUTD). FLUTD is the name given to a set of symptoms from various causes that can affect a cat's urinary system. The causes are varied and the age of the cat partly influences the likelihood of the cause. (ie older cats are more prone to bacterial infections than younger cats). Other common causes include bladder stones, crystals, tumors, and sometimes just inflammation from an unknown cause called feline idiopathic cystitis or FIC (more common in younger cats). The stress of the spay and declaw and the recovery process could certainly have precipitated a flare up of FIC. Unfortunately, they all can show the same symptoms, no matter the cause and all are treated a little differently. It is possible the only symptom that is noted can be blood in the urine and it may only be visible under microscopic examination of the urine. FLUTDidiopathic cystitis Once a medical condition is eliminated, or if she is found to be free of disease, then you can focus on getting her back to the litterbox consistently. The goal is to make the litter boxes the most attractive place in the house and the other spots less attractive. The general rule of thumb is to have one more litter pan than you have cats so if she is your only cat, you should have at least 2 litter pans in the house if not more. You can have 2 of them side by side if need be. Some cats develop a preference of one for stool and one for urine. Maybe try one covered and one uncovered to find her preference. Clumping litters seem to be preferred by most cats because it is soft. It also allows you to keep it cleaner as there shouldn't be a wet bottom. You may need to experiment with different litters, different types of boxes (short sided, tall sided, etc) and different amount of litter in the boxes. You must scoop daily! Cat's are very texture specific so look at the places she is choosing to go. If it is a carpet, you may want to put a piece of scrap carpeting in a litter box for her and slowly add more litter as she starts to use it. There is also a litter box additive called Cat Attract® which works very well. PRECIOUS CAT LITTERS LINK You may have already tried these, but they are suggestions that have helped many of my clients. Litter pan hygiene is key. This is to help with the problem of the inappropriate urine that is more likely a substrate preference or litter box aversion. Next, you want to make the other spots unattractive or unavailable, confinement is one way. Maybe keep her from the places it is occurring if possible as you have been, especially when you are not home, unless that is where the litter pans are. One thing I would suggest is a product called Feliway®. LINK HERE Feliway is a synthetic pheromone that mimics the natural chemicals that a cat secretes. It creates a comforting, reassuring feeling that has a calming effect. It has been shown to decrease urine marking and spraying within 30 days with a 95% success rate. It is also calming to cats in stressful situations such as transport, hospitalization, veterinarian visits, boarding, new environments, pets or people. Feliway® is a product that can be sprayed or used as a room diffuser. It can be purchased through veterinarians and pet stores. I would definitely put a few of these around the house. There are drugs that can be tried, but I would try the other things first. Even if you have to resort to drug therapy for a while, these are changes that should be incorporated at the same time. If it is found to be a problem related to anxiety, there are also supplements that can be used to decrease her anxiety. One is called Zylkene LINK HERE or the other is Solliquin LINK HERE This is a hard subject to cover adequately in a few paragraphs. I am including a link that may give you a few more ideas. Work with your veterinarian who should have experience with this also as this is a very common problem, but can be solved in many cases especially since she is still a young cat. I am also including links to a website that offer suggestions to provide environmental enrichment for indoor cats. This has become a very important subject as we have now identified that many cat behavior and medical disorders stem from the fact that they are confined indoors This "stress" can lead to physical and behavioral problems. Feline house soilingOSU Indoor Pet Initiative I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.Dr Z