Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My cat is 7 yrs old. She is not eating much and not urinating

Customer Question

My cat is 7 yrs old. She is not eating much and not urinating or defecating normal frequency. Today she vomited yellow green liquid . What could be wrong.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Merlyn isn't eating and drinking normally, isn't urinating or defecating much, and vomited yellow/green material today.Cats that do not eat or drink much don't have much to produce waste, so her decrease in urine and stool make sense. Cats that have a gastrointestinal blockage or very abnormal intestinal motility often vomit green material as that is digested bile, bile that sits in the stomach for a while. Bile only refluxes back into the stomach when gastrointestinal motility is abnormal, such as with a blockage or poor gastrointestinal motility due to primary intestinal or metabolic disease. Vomiting can be related to chronic pancreatitis, esophageal reflux, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, toxin exposure, a viral or bacterial infection, inflammatory bowel disease, heartworm disease, hyperthyroidism (a tumor of the thyroid gland) internal organ failure, a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma. Is she a kitty that gets outdoors unsupervised such that she could get into something you don't know about?Or is she a kitty that eats things like rubber bands, toys other things she should not? Because she isn't eating or drinking normally I am very concerned about her. She will quickly become dehydrated and as her liver breaks down fats for energy to live she may develop a type of liver disease called hepatic lipidosis. That type of liver disease can be fatal if it is not aggressively treated. If she does go outdoors exposure to infections, toxins and eating things she should not are real concerns. Ideally she would see a veterinarian since this has been going on for more than 48 hours. Simple stomach upset should pass within 24 to 48 hours. They could examine her, run blood tests and possibly check radiographs and/or an ultrasound to evaluate her and know best how to treat her. In the meantime they can administer injectable anti-nausea drugs and fluids to rehydrate her. If you cannot have her seen for whatever reason there are some things you can try at home, although if she doesn't respond quickly she should see a veterinarian. At home to try and settle her stomach you can give either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours These are acid reducers and should help her feel better. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary. You can use a medicine syringe to try and force water into her orally. A couple of hours after giving the acid reducer I recommend offering soft foods mixed with water to make eating and swallowing more comfortable. If she is refusing to eat even soft foods you can try offering meat baby foods, or a bland diet of 2/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. If Merlyn continues to not eat and continues to vomit green material she should see her veterinarian or an emergency veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics and intravenous fluids and supportive care. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****