Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Why does my cat pee all over the house. She's two and we've

Customer Question

Why does my cat pee all over the house. She's two and we've tried everything, her sister will only go in the litter box, why can't she
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 6 months ago.
Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your cat Paislie today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Was she ever placed on any medications by your veterinarian? Were there any significant changes in the environment before this happened? Does her and her sister get along well with each other?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
None except during her spay. When we got her she was 3 months from the humane society and she was with a litter of cats in a large room with litter boxes but I think they peed everywhere in there and we have been trying to make it stop and have been unsuccessful for two years. Yeah they play snuggle and rough house sometimes. The only change is that we brought her home from the humane society. We've considered kennelling her for a week to see if she would learn to use the litter box. Any suggestions? They have always shared the litter box, but it's automatic and we clean it and fresh litter weekly.
Okay thanks for the additional information. It is very helpful. So this has been going on as long as you have had her? Based on that information it sounds like she may need to learn how to use the litter box. Is she just urinating in specific areas of the house or anywhere she has access too? She probably needs to be kenneled or at least isolated from the other cats with her own personal litterbox. Has she only been exposed to an automatic litterbox since you had her? During the learning process I would recommend that you don't use the automatic litter box for her because it may add to the challenge of her wanting to use the box because it may cause her to be frightened. You may want to start with an uncovered litter box that only she can use whether she is isolated in a room by herself or in a kennel to see if that will work. Otherwise other options are trying some medications to see if that helps.
Those medications are for cats that are urinating inappropriately for anxiety reasons. But if she has been doing this since she was a kitten, I am sure anxiety has little to do with her behavior
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We started with both boxes and after they started using the automatic box, then we got rid of the other one. She goes where ever she wants, there is no pattern.
Does she ever use the litter box at all? If that is the case then I would definitely recommend isolating her in a kennel since she urinates everywhere or in a room in your house if possible. Also you may want to ask your veterinarian about trying an oral medication called amitryptylline, I have used this medication in cats who have been inappropriately urinating and it seems to work for some. But again it is for those who have anxiety issues though.