Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

One of my 5 day old kittens were to weak to suckle of the mother so in a bid to save

Customer Question

Hi one of my 5 day old kittens were to weak to suckle of the mother so in a bid to save his life we hand fed him his doing fine cries when he wants to be fed, gets comfortable and goes straight back to sleep. His mother hasn't abandoned him she still licks his bum and grooms him. But just now i noticed his bum is raw? What could be causing this? Is this serious?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
Hello, It sounds like you are doing a great job saving this kitten. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. The first thing I would check for is his having diarrhea. Diarrhea can be serious in kittens this young. I might try to get a sample of his stool with a tiny cotton swab to see if it is loose or formed, or if there is any blood in his stool. If he has diarrhea, the first thing to do is add more water to his formula, to make it less concentrated. If the food is too concentrated, it can cause diarrhea. What are you feeding him? Is it kitten milk replacer?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
Hi Majestic,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
How is your kitten doing?