Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My cat has an open abscess, he is a very chill cat so he

Customer Question

My cat has an open abscess, he is a very chill cat so he lets me do whatever basically.. I got him laid down and some hair cut away from it, I also put a warm compress on it and it was leaking white pus. I was wondering if there is anything else I can do for him at home?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It looks like it was a bite mark from maybe another cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. First, I would note that you are likely correct that another cat is to blame for this wound. It has the appearance of a bite and other cats are the most common cause of abscesses in general. Now looking at the ring of tissue around the edge, its important to note that this isn't a fresh wound. Therefore, there is a chance that the underlying infection causing the abscess has spread under the local skin and that the wound may struggle to heal. So, we need to keep a close eye here. Though for the moment, since Jinx is amenable, you can try some supportive care. If the pus is leaking out, we can gently put pressure on the abscess and express as much as possible. If he will allow, we'd then want to flush the inside of the abscess with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, salt water, etc). This will help us wash out as much pus and bacteria as possible. This can be done 2-3 times daily. While doing this, we'd also want to keep him +/- place an ecollar to keep him from licking the wound and spreading more bacteria into it. And if all the pus subsides and this heals we are happy. Though if the pus lingers (meaning we cannot get all those bacteria out), then we'd want to have his local vet dispense antibiotics to treat from the inside out. As well, if they confirm that the wound edges are not likely to close, they can freshen those edges and put in a stitch to help his body heal this properly.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page. Thank you for your feedback!: )