Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Male Cat 20 Years Old. He has a large lump the size of a base

Customer Question

Male Cat 20 Years Old. He has a large lump the size of a base ball on his right shoulder, and it is growing rapidly. He is very thin and has lost a lot of energy. He is now starting to limp and seems to be in a little pain. I am concerned the lump is cancerous.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.
I'm afraid that you're correct, Brad. Large lumps as you've described usually represent injection site fibrosarcomas. The shoulder is a typical site for vaccinations. There are no conservative therapies barring narcotic analgesia. I believe that you're going to have to make a difficult decision sooner than later. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.