Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cats skin has a yellow tint to it. I checked her mouth

Customer Question

My cats skin has a yellow tint to it. I checked her mouth and her gums are also yellow. Her tung seems pin on the top but yellow under/
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 8 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Is she strictly indoors? 2- How long has this been going on? 3- Any pre existing medical conditions? 4- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1 Only indoors. 2 Just noticed it today 3 none 4 none
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She does have seasonal alergies
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, when the skin turns yellow this is called "Jaundice or Icterus." The reason why it is yellow is because of increases of a chemical called bilirubin in the blood. Two general causes for increases in bilirubin are: Liver disordes or destruction of red blood cells; this can be caused by: Auto immune disorders, infections, tumors, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately in this case we are very limited as to what you can do at home. Fiona will need to be seen by family veterinarian for blood work as initial screening test. Once your vet determine the exact underlying cause they will then formulate a treatment. For example, if this is related to an infection she will be started on antibiotics, if related to auto immune disorders she will be started on corticosteroids, etc. So, really the first place is doing some test to determine the exact underlying cause. Highly recommend having her checked as soon as you can. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter