Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My 2 year old has been ill over the best few days. Went to

Customer Question

My 2 year old has been ill over the best few days. Went to vet and had comprehensive lab work etc. all his results, number were good. The only thing they're telling me is he came back positive for FIP. He's been on an antibiotic and a pain med for couple of days. Yesterday he was himself and doing well. Today however not as good. My vet seems puzzled and wants to send labs to a internist. I just don't know what to think only that I'm very upset
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
You posted in "dog veterinary" but FIP is a cat disease. Please clarify.There isn't a "positive" for FIP. The usual serologic test for FIP returns a titer - the amount of antibodies formed against the coronavirus - the virus that transmutes into the FIP virus. A positive titer just means that a cat has been exposed to coronavirus sometime during its life and the great majority of cats have been so. I need to review all of your cat's test results to be more accurate for you. Can you upload a copy of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but his vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?