Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

Dr, another one of my cat is in labor. One of her babies got

Customer Question

Dr, another one of my cat is in labor. One of her babies got stuck. We gently pull the dead baby out from her , but she is bleeding. What can we do.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
Uncontrolled bleeding - particularly if it isn't slowing down - is addressed by performing a caesarian. That kind of bleeding can't be addressed at home. If you're seeing the bleeding slowing down, however, and your cat is stable (good color to her mucous membranes of her tongue and gums) and good capillary refill time (pushing on her gums should blanch them and then blood should return to the area within 2 seconds) you can "watchful wait" and see if the rest of her delivery is uneventful or not. Remember, normal parturition can take over 24 hours although the median parturition length is 8 hours with a range of 4- 42 hours.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?