Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

MY Name is***** is Jinggels. he is 20 YO & is not

Customer Question

Hi. MY Name is***** is Jinggels. he is 20 YO & is not eating much & has lost a lot of weight & is weak. has trouble getting around. can I give him Boost to build him up?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Jingles isn't eating well, has lost a lot of weight and seems weak.I understand that you are trying to help and want to give him quick energy and a high calorie supplement. I do not recommend giving him Boost for several reasons.Boost is formulated for people, and we are omnivores whereas cats are true carnivores. It is much higher in simple sugars than their bodies can tolerate effectively.It does not contain essential nutrients that cats need, particularly Taurine. Taurine deficiency can lead to heart, eye and neurologic problems.There are liquid supplements formulated for cats. Clinicare is one such supplement. See this link for an example of the product:http://www.amazon.com/Abbott-Laboratories-CliniCare-Canine-Nutritionally/dp/B0021WXUQQ But truly I suspect that Jingles has some significant underlying medical issues, such as ketoacidotic diabetes or kidney failure, and/or perhaps liver disease too. It is better to address the primary underlying issues to get him back on track. He should see his veterinarian for an examination and some blood tests.In the meantime you can supplement with Clinicare, but I would not expect that to help for long if his underlying health issues aren't addressed.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****