Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.

Customer: My name is ***** *****, and my issue is one of our

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****, and my issue is one of our 14 y.o. cats. He is not vomiting for at least 4 days, but has been having mucous, and a ton of it, in his bowels, and most times haven't been able to make it to the litter boxes, and we have one upstairs and one downstairs. For the most part, it is more clear, jellylike substance, maybe a tiny dot of blood, and, then a tiny bit of light brown poop. My concern is #1, the physical symptoms are terrible for him, and I can't help him. I am letting the water bowl out and he is drinking like he normally would, and am just giving him a few pieces of dry food throughout the day, and he also gets wet food for breakfast. He seems to be hungry, so that is not an issue for me with him. He has a brother, who is not having the symptoms... fortunately! Bert, the sick one, has a temp of 97.8. His lungs sound clear, and from what I can hear by ear, his heartbeat sounds"normal", not racing. Hopefully that is enough info for you to help us. We can't financially afford to take him to the vet, as we are disabled on a fixed income. On the other hand, we absolutely do not want him to feel badly! This is an off and on thing, for the past 4 days.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No, actually, I've said it all!
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I'll try. I don't think it is an emergency, just concern.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,I'mCustomerand I would be glad to help with your question about your cat. First, 97.8 is a very low temperature for a cat: since your cat is feeling well and eating fine, I suspect this is inaccurate which is not uncommon when temperature is measured at home. In this situation, I would not advise taking your cat's temperature again: his rear may be sore, it will cause stress, and it will probably be inaccurate since you aren't accustomed to how far the thermometer needs to be inserted. The symptoms you are describing (i.e. mucous in feces with increased urgency to defecate and fresh blood) are consistent with inflammation of the colon (i.e. large bowel inflammation, a.k.a. colitis). There are numerous possible causes such as eating something unusual (i.e. plant or new food that doesn't agree with your cat), intestinal parasites, severe stress, and especially for older cats, sometimes it is related to an underlying health condition such as inflammatory bowel disease, hyperthyroidism (over active thyroid), kidney or liver disease etc. However, as long as your cat is eating well and not vomiting, then it is reasonable to try some things at home to see if you can resolve the problem. I would stop feeding for 12 hours but allow unlimited access to water. Then resume feeding with small amounts of a try a bland diet of baked white meat chicken (no skin, fat or seasoning) and white boiled rice. You can sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of Metamucil (non-flavored) on the meal every 8 hours. would also advise Purina Fortiflora probiotic but you will probably have to order it online unless your vet will sell it to you: give one packet mixed with food per day. If your cat goes outside, please keep him indoors only so he can be monitored closely. You may choose to keep him confined in a room near a little box if that isn't too upsetting for him which will allow you to both monitor his feces and maybe cut down on accidents. Again outdoor cats (and even some indoor cats) may get parasitic infections so you can consider an over the counter dewormer from your local pet store as long as you make sure it is labeled as safe for cats. If your vet has examined this cat in the last 12 months, then he may be willing to dispense a dewormer without a visit. Either way, if the diarrhea persists for 48 hours despite bland diet and fiber supplement (with or without the probiotic since it may take more than 48 hours to obtain) OR if your cat develops any other symptoms such as loss of appetite or depression, then I would recommend you go to the vet ASAP. Dehydration can occur from diarrhea and that would need to be corrected by the vet: also, sometimes prescription medications are needed to resolve colitis. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions or would like additional information. It is my goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating. Sincerely,Dr. Karing
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Hi there, I wondered how your cat is doing and if you found my response helpful to him. Please let me know when you have a chance. Thank you,Dr. Karing