Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as an associate veterinarian working with pets and treating feral felines.

Customer: , My cat Henry is 12 years old. about 6 months

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, My cat Henry is 12 years old. about 6 months ago maybe longer, I noticed he didnt jump up on the bed anymore. He wants me to lift him up. Now I've noticed that he seems bony. His back legs have lost alot of muscle.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did Henry have a fall?
Customer: I dont think so. I notice when he jumps off of something his back legs falter.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No,thanks.
JA: Sorry, I didn't catch that.
Customer: I will wait to be connected to a vet.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Henry's troubles. Cats, just like humans, can develop arthritis and tend to lose muscle as they age. I am a bit concerned about the boniness. There are a number of causes for weight loss and muscle weakness in older kitties such as diabetes, hyperthyroidism, and kidney issues just to name a few.Your best bet would be to have some blood work and an exam done on Henry to rule out these diseases. Hopefully he is just experiencing some normal aging changes that can be helped by antiinflammatories or other medications. I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions that you may have. Thank you and good luck!