Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.
24928096

Customer: My name is ***** *****. I had my cat to the vet a

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. I had my cat to the vet a few weeks afo because he was constipated. The vet took an x ray and it didn't show a blockage. He recommended syllium husk. I switched him to all wet food and added metamucil and pumpkin. He still has a constipation problem. I had to give him a senokot because I live in a very rural place and could not get to the vet because of bad weather. He went but not a lot and it was hard. Any suggestions?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He seems to be alert and responsive. He doesn't act like he is sick. I am a senior and I love my cat but my budget is low. Will the senokot hurt my little friend?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,I'mCustomeradn I would be glad to help with the question you have about your cat. Senokot-S will not harm your cat. The ingredients in Senokot-S tablets are Sennosides (8.6mg) (Laxative), Docusate Sodium (50mg) and the usual dose for cats is 1 tablet every 12 -24 hours. There are also various liquid and granule forms of Senokot: if you have one of those, please let me know exactly which one you have and how much your cat weighs so I can advise you. It is very important that your cat eats and drinks properly to help alleviate constipation. Ingestion of food stimulates the GI tract to move contents along and good hydration is necessary for that to occur. As your vet recommended, a canned food diet as ideal for your cat since he is having this problem. You could even add water to the canned food to help even more as long as your kitty doesn't mind and eats the soupy food just as well. You may also consider Miralax powder instead of Senokot. It is easier to titrate the dose to effect and most cats don't mind this mixed in their food. http://www.drugstore.com/miralax-laxative-powder-for-solution/qxp172404The Miralax dose for cats is 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon once or twice a day: the goal is once daily bowel movements that are formed but not dry and hard. As long as your cat eats well and isn't vomiting, then you should have some time to work this out. When able, I recommend blood work on your cat to assess for an underlying cause of his constipation. Many cats that become dehydrated have a condition that causes them to be prone to dehydration: an example is kidney disease but many other possibilities exist. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions or would like additiona linformation. It is my goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating. Sincerely,Dr. Karing
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,I wanted to check to see if you received my response and found it helpful. Please let me know if there is other information I can provide.Thank you,Dr. Karing