Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.

I have a 5 year old cat that wipes its on the floor after

Customer Question

I have a 5 year old cat that wipes its butt on the floor after using the box.
Lucky for we have tile floor. She does this every day. She is an indoor cat.She did not do this when we first got her. She has gained weight since we first got. Wonder if it could be her diet. She eats canned food, Half can a day ,also some hard food, and some cat treats daily. Shes been doing this for over a year. It's almost like the waste gets stuck to her and shes just doing what she has to do to get it off. Her stool seems kinda soft, this is why I think it has to do with her diet. Whats your thoughts?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Most likely, especially since Willow has gained some weight, her anal glands, which are glands on either side of the anus, are full which causes discomfort and pressure on this area causing Willow to have to rub her rear to release some of the material that is clogged up in her glands. This is not related to nutrition in most cases. Have your vet check Willows glands to know for sure but this is the most common problem causing these symptoms. It would be good to worm her with a good all around wormer from the pet store in case this is causing this also. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I understand what you are saying, but when she does this it,s seems like she is wiping to get the fecal matter off of her. When she is done there is cat crap smeared all over the floor. Does this still sound like anal glands? I have seen our dog do this , but no where near the mess that she makes.Brian
This still could be anal glands making her feel like she needs to do this and for this reason, have your vet check them. Since cats are so fastidious, it may be that she has some diarrhea that she is unable to clean off. Parasites can cause this diarrhea as well as other factors so it is best to worm her and if this does not stop this behavior, give her Imodium 1/4 caplet every 8 hrs to try to stop the diarrhea. Have your vet check her though to be sure. Good luck!!