Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat is 6 months old and was declawed on the front last Tuesday

Customer Question

My cat is 6 months old and was declawed on the front last Tuesday (it is now Sunday). She will not eat and has been drinking water about 2x per day. Very listless and growls when we move here. Normally a sweet cat, but we can tell she has lost weight. They sent her home with pain meds we are supposed to put in her mouth 2x per day. Not sure what to do and very worried.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: What pain relief was she sent home on?When did she last have it?Does she seem more comfortable when the pain medication takes effect?Is she on any antibiotics or was she given any long acting ones by injection?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She was sent with .6 vials of a medicine that starts with a B and is placed between the gum and teeth. We had given it to her faithfully at 12 hour intervals. She is not comfortable even with pain meds and she wasn't given any long-lasting ones by injection.We took her to my primary vet this am. She had to be placed on IV and catheter, has three accesses. They had to put her out again, do blood work, clean up toes (the group that did it didn't even clean the paws afterwards), place some sutures, etc.She hadn't had water for over 30 hours and hadn't eaten for 3 days, so she had also become dehydrated.They are going to keep her two days until she starts eating again.Thank you so much for answering. I didn't see your post since I got up really early to get her in.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
No worries,Now hopefully since they put in a catheter, they have give her fluids to counter any dehydration at this point.Otherwise, based on your history, I am concerned that your lass was showing this behavior because of continued discomfort post surgery. As I am sure you can appreciate, declawing (which actually includes removal of the first potion of the digit and not just the claw) is very painful. So, if she is only on twice daily Buprenorphine, she may need to be increased to every 8 hours at an increased dose and we may also need to add in a cat safe anti-inflammatory (ie Metacam) to manage this properly for her. So, it is worth ringing her current vet about that (and even thinking of having the Metacam given by injection to just avoid giving the oral version on an empty stomach).As well if she isn't eating, there isn't really a point to wait and see. Especially since cats off food for a few days are at risk of developing secondary fatty liver issues (hepatic lipidosis). So, you may want to discuss appetite stimulants are this point +/- anti-nausea treatment if they have found any suspicion of that on exam.Finally, I would suggest that if she isn't keen to eat her usual food, we would want to tempt her +/- even syringe feed. Often we find calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned kitten food) or use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Catsure) beneficial in these cases. As well, there are paste supplements (ie Nutrical) that can also be used. And these will all get more in per bite even if we cannot get much in and just help us head off problems while we work to get her more comfortable after this surgery.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )