Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Feline Veterinarian in Practice 15 Years

My cat gave birth to three kittens at 7:30am California time

Customer Question

My cat gave birth to three kittens at 7:30am California time today (sunday) she has not nurtured the kittens at all. I have them wrapped in a blanket now. Right next to the mother. She has not made any attempt to feed or clean them. I think I may need to hand feed them. How long should I wait to start feeding them? How long should I give mom? Should I attempt to wash them? I feel lost. Any information is appreciated….
Thank you, Bryan
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The mommy has now left the house. I feel certain she has given them up….
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 6 months ago.
H there, yes definitely start to feed them.You will need to go to Petsmart or Petco and buy some kitten milk replacer and a few feeding bottles.I have found the holes in the tip of the nipple are often too small and not enough milk comes out. So heat up a needle or a pin with a lighter and make the hole bigger.You will need to feed them every 2-3 hours.After you feed them take a warm wet wash cloth and go over their hind ends until they urinate or defacate.
At 4 weeks of age you can start to mix kitten food with the milk replacer and see if they will eat that.They need to be dewormed wat 2 weeks, 4 weeks, and 6 weeks of age. You can use Pyrantel Pamoate. They sell Pyrantel Pamoate at Pet stores and online. It works on hookworms, whipeworms, an roundworms. Do not use anything but Pyrantel Pamoate.
They can not maintain their body temperature until they are 4 weeks of age so keep them somewhere warm with towels.You can read more about orphaned kitten care here
Do you have any other questions I can assist you with?