PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

We are looking to purchase a cat. the breeder has informed

Customer Question

we are looking to purchase a cat. the breeder has informed us that the vet does not know why he can hear the heart pushing out the blood. they is no physical effects, the cat plays and does cat things. why would this be an issue, and why would the breeder inform us. she discounting the cat a bunch. ed mchugh
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hi Ed. I'll be happy to help you with this new potential companion. I have worked with purebred cats professionally for 15 years and work directly with them, as well as breeders, through my cat rescue. Can you give me some additional info? 1) How old is this kitten? 2) Has the breeder had the breeding adults scanned by a cardiologist? 3) Has the kitten been examined and scanned by a cardiologist? 4) Did they tell you if they're hearing a murmur? Is that the "pushing out" the vet is hearing? I'm opening up the option for a phone conversation as this may be easier to discuss on the phone. There's a lot of information to exchange on this topic.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no cardiologist has been involved, 7 weeks old, and pushing out is what they are hearing.
Hi, Ed.Do you know if the adults that produced this kitten have been to the cardiologist within the last year?The reason I ask is that Bengals are predisposed to heart problems, so this condition may well turn out to be not only extremely expensive to maintain but could result in a short-lived companion. I imagine that is why this breeder has discounted the kittens so much.I think the biggest question here would really be, are you interested in a healthy companion or are you interested in caring for one that may need regular visits to the vet and medication? Ultimately, the only way to know what is wrong with his heart is going to be having him seen by a cardiologist. I can assist you in finding one in your area, if you need.