Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I recently adopted my dad's old cat. He seems healthy in every

Customer Question

I recently adopted my dad's old cat. He seems healthy in every way, but he frequently barfs up mostly undigested food. Why would he be doing this and what can I do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear about your father's kitty. I'm sure this is no fun for either of you. There are some things we need to consider. Because he is new to you if you didn't see him often when he lived with dad you may not know the answers to some of the things we ask to try to figure out why he is vomiting so much. But the answers will help if you know him well.Has this always been a problem for him or is this new?Has anything else changed about him? Is he hungrier than he used to be and gulping his food without it chewing well?Is he losing weight?Is he drinking more water and urinating more than usual? Dry food is likely more of a problem than canned as it is easier to eat fast and it expands once it hits the stomach juices, making the cat feel over full and thus vomit. But if this is new behavior for him perhaps there's more behind it. And if he's losing weight or drinking more water there almost certainly is another problem.He may be hungrier because he has an overactive thyroid gland due to a thyroid gland tumor. These cats have an increased metabolic rate and must eat more to maintain their bodyweight, yet their stomach is the same size, so eating more at one time just doesn't work.He may be hungrier because he is diabetic and isn't able to use the all calories he is taking in. These cats generally are drinking more and urinating more as well.It's also possible that he has developed pancreatitis (an inflammation of the pancreas) or inflammatory bowel disease and the food just is not agreeing with his body. I would start with a physical examination and some blood tests at your veterinarian. Hyperthyroidism and diabetes are controllable with medication, and pancreatitis and inflammatory bowel disease can be helped by dietary changes. In the meantime until you can have him checked out I would feed him canned only. If he's used to eating dry only add water or broth to the dry, slowly increasing the amount of water in the food until it is fully expanded. You can also give him Pepcid-ac (generic name famotidine) at 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours. This antacid medication may help settle his stomach a bit.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****