Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

I just noticed small white worms in my cats litterbox (feces)

Customer Question

I just noticed small white worms in my cats litterbox (feces) i will not have money to bring him to a vet for a couple weeks. Is there anything otc i can get that will actually work? Is he in danger?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Do the worms look like rice or spaghetti?
Friend, if the worms look like rice those are tapeworms segments. If they look like spaghetti those are roundworms. You will need to deworm Charlie. For tapeworms you can use a dewormer called Praziquantel. Against round worms you can use pyrantel (strongid). You can buy these over the counter in any pet store, give at label dose. This is not a life threatening emergency; you can also wait to pick up the deworming medication from family veterinarian. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!