Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Customer: ***** *****. My cat is scratching her under her chin

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****. My cat is scratching her under her chin to the point of hair loss and cuts.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I do not see redness or swelling or uticaria or bumps. No mites. this was an issue with her ears a while back but it has been over a month since and the scratching started up again yesterday out of nowhere
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: When was he last treated with an anti-parasitic/flea spot on?Have any treatments been used at this stage?Any changes in appetite, rubbing at his mouth, drooling, or issues with his mouth?Does he have a plastic food dish?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She has not been treated for ticks of fleas but was tested recently and doesn't have themI have been using natural pet skin and itch relief that goes in her water. And aloe Vera wipes that are supposed to treat hot spots and neosporin at the direction. Of a vet.No appetite changes or trouble with her mouth only under her chin now. She has a metal food dish.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you,First, I am glad to hear that she hasn't any ticks or fleas. Though the reason I asked about her treatment history is because some of these products can also clear lice and mites that could cause focal signs as those we are seeing. So, even if she doesn't have those larger parasites, it is worth ruling out those others with a multi-species spot on (ie Advantage Multi, Revolution, Stronghold) to make sure those are ruled out for her.Otherwise, you are right to be keeping this area clean, since we can see bacterial proliferation cause these kinds of signs too. That said, if you have covered all those bases and we able to rule out those smaller more subtle parasites; then we'd have to consider allergic causes for her signs. Its good that she has no plastic dishes, but since allergies can literally be to anything in their environment, we'd want to consider a trial on an antihistamine. Your vet can dispense this for you or most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce any allergic irritation. Alternatively, you can also use Cetirizine (just 5mg for a cat) once daily. For either, we like to keep the dose low, since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). Though of course, these shouldn't be used if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.Overall, you have ruled out a wide range of agents and do sound to be keeping bacterial concerns at bay. That said, we'd want to consider smaller parasites and allergies at this point and therefore the above would be our next step before having her vet try options like immunomodulating drugs or further testing to get to the root cause of this for her. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your help. I had a suspicion it was allergies but wanted a second opinion.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
You are very welcome,
I am glad I could confirm your suspicions and hopefully we can settle this for her.
Best wishes,
Dr. B
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.