Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian in Practice 19 Years
2263760

My cat has an itchy red spot on the inside of his leg and keeps

Customer Question

my cat has an itchy red spot on the inside of his leg and keeps licking at it until most of his hair hair in that is gone nothing to stop the itching has worked. could the problem be ring worm?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 7 months ago.
Hi there. This is Dr. Gabby. Does he go outside? What have you tried besides the hydrocortisone spray?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no HE DOES NOT GO OUT SIDE AT ALL
Ok and what have you tried besides the hydrocortisone spray?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the only thing we have tried is the spray. what other suggestions do you have ? or should we have just taken him to a vet here in vegas
Ok there are a few things you can try. I would start him on an antihistamine. The easiest one is Zyrtec. It comes in 10 mg tablets. Give 1/4 of a tablet every 24 hours. Use the human over the counter Zyrtec.I doubt it is ringworm if he does not go outside. It is possible but not likely.Most likely he had an insect bite (flea or spider) in that area. Or he may have had a scratch and that developed a little infection.
To stop him from licking you can put an e-collar on him. That is a cone collar. They also make some that are like "inner tubes" that make a ring around the neck.They sell those at Petsmart.
I would buy some human over the counter neosporin and hydrocortisone cream Mix those up 50:50.Apply that 2-3 times a day.It is not toxic if ingested but the area will not heal if he keeps licking it.If you do the Zyrtec, e-collar, and neosproin with hydrocortisone you should start to see improvement in 48 hoursIt will probably take a couple of weeks for it to heal.If you do not see an improvement in 2 days then I would take him to a vet.How does that sound?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby