Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Just got 4 kittens from awl. All going well 3 days

Customer Question

Just got 4 kittens from awl. All going well for 1st 3 days but 6wk old was pooing and easting a lot. His bottom looks protruding but not red. He is now leaking diarrhea constantly. Have fed him kitten wet food and normal milk. Is food too rich or something wrong with his anus etc,
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Larry. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Has he been tested for worms and other nonworm parasites such as Coccidiosis? That would be a common reason for a kitten to have diarrhea like this, and worming or treating him for coccidia might help. I would have a sample of his diarrhea examined microscopically; coccidia are one celled parasites so you can't see them with the naked eye. I might stop the milk, and feed kitten food only. Probiotics (beneficial bacterial supplements) may also help. If he is eating, and his gums are pink, that is a good sign he is not seriously ill. Try to keep him hydrated with water, or broth, to make up for fluid being lost in the diarrhea. Let me know what other questions you have.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He has been treated for fleas and worms b4 us getting him.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.
A common parasite to cause diarrhea in kittens is Coccidia, and it is not a worm so wormers will not treat or prevent it. Also, no one "wormer" gets all worms and certainly not all parasites. The first thing to do is check a stool sample for nonworm parasites like Coccidia and Giardia.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.
How is your kitten doing? Can I answer anything else?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He is doing fine now. His bottom is not swollen and we've bot given him as much wet food.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for the update. I am glad to hear he is doing better. Is there anything else I can answer or help with? Kindly consider rating my answer if this was helpful.