Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat is excessively drooling and seems interested in eating

Customer Question

My cat is excessively drooling and seems interested in eating but seems unable. He was recently treated (3 days ago) for an infection due to cat bite/scracth. Was given antibiotic via injection. Also was given Revolution on that visit.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. It sounds like he may have a tooth root infection or loose tooth causing the pain. These cats will often want to eat and try to eat, but they just can't It hurts to chew. The diagnosis is made with dental x-rays. Sometimes we see diseased teeth on oral exam, but most of the time it requires anesthesia and dental radiographs. If the oral exam and x-rays are normal, then I would try appetite stimulants (Mirtazapine) to see if that helps.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He had a visual dental exam 3 days ago and no issues were identified. Should I take him to 24 hour vet? How long can he not drink/eat. It's been 6 hours or so. Earlier today he was active and normal. Now definitely not wanting to be touched, uncomfortable, and rhe drooling about a tablespoon of drool every 30 -40 mins
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
We miss a lot with just a visual oral exam. You really need to see what's going on under the gum line. I would call the ER vet first. Most of them don't have dental x-ray units. It may have to wait until Monday to have the x-rays done.