PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Customer: My small persian cat (indoor) suddenly started drooling

Customer Question

Customer: My small persian cat (indoor) suddenly started drooling excessively today. He has eaten all his meals today. He does have hyperplasia of his gums. Which my vet keeps an eye on. He has never done this before. Worried !!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the Persian cat will be able to digest that. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: He got out on to the bottom step in our garden last night, (all paved) and his tail whipped back and forward, which he has never done before. He did not have access to any plants !
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion? 1) Have you seen any vomiting? 2) Any gagging or retching? 3) Has he consumed any food that isn't his cat food (human food?)4) Is he on any medication currently?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
None of the above
It will take me about 5 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how I will be compensated for my time.
Profuse drooling is typically due to nausea, but it can also due to something being wrong in the mouth. Gingival hyperplasia could certainly cause this symptom. Perhaps the easiest way to determine if this is due to nausea or not would be to give a dose of pepcid to see if it calms his stomach. If you're hoping to wait to see your vet on Monday, if necessary, that should be possible if he keeps eating and drinking normally. If not, it will be important to have an exam performed as quickly as possible (this weekend, if possible).The dosing for pepcid is available here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcidOnce you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today. Best of luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy