Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

Customer: my cats voice is suddenly all raspy JA: I'll do

Customer Question

Customer: my cats voice is suddenly all raspy
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with Voice?
Customer: she's a real talker all the time. well suddenly last night it went raspy. she always had a real high pitched voice.
JA: Where does Voice seem to hurt?
Customer: she doesn't seem to hurt
JA: OK. No obvious pain. How old is Voice?
Customer: 4
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 6 months ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.There are many possible causes for a raspy voice, which might include upper respiratory infection (especially one of our feline viral infections like calicivirus or herpes virus), electrolyte imbalance, primary throat issue (tumor/polyp, foreign object, trauma) and the list continues.If she is doing great (eating well, normal activity, normal social behavior) then you could safely monitor her through the weekend. IF this all resolves by Monday, then perhaps she strained her voice or there was some trauma (such as ingestion of grass or leaf that scratched her throat). If it persists, then she really should have an exam with her vet and some lab testing to rule out at least the electrolyte issues that might cause this.If she is having symptoms other than raspy voice like coughing/sneezing, low appetite, vomit/diarrhea, etc, then she needs to be seen today, if you can arrange this.I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey