Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

6 years ago my healthy 12 lb cat stopped eating and we almost

Customer Question

6 years ago my healthy 12 lb cat stopped eating and we almost lost him. He recovered with steroids (X-rays showed inflamed lg intestine wall). Ever since he has continued to loose weight and is now hanging in at 7-8 lbs. he is a very tall long cat and at this weight he is skin and bones. Two vets have not been able to tell me what's wrong. Blood work comes back normal and feces samples show no parasites. Last year he had chronic diarrhea. I started reading about Ibd and experimenting with his food. He has been eating wellness core turkey and duck wet food for over six months and the diarrhea is now only occasional (no other food or treats are given or he gets diarrhea) However he poos a huge amount that is horrible smelling and has a layer of thick mucus around it. He is hungry all the time. After eating he sits hunched up like he's uncomfortable. Food seems to go right through him and can't gain weight. He's due for bloodwork again. Any suggestions or things I should ask his vet to check for? Epi? I'm at a loss of what to do! Been six years! Otherwise he is happy and healthy.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
It's not unreasonable to check for EPI with a TLI blood test and chronic pancreatitis with a specFPL blood test but I believe that the best use of your money would be to scope and biopsy Snoop at this point. I understand that he's 12 years old now and such a procedure will be stressful for him and on your pocketbook but the likelihood of blood work clarifying the etiology of a chronic gastrointestinal disorder isn't very good. I would want to know what his serum albumin, folate, and vitamin B12 levels are, however, as that can tell me if a protein-losing enteropathy is present and where in the GI tract the disorder is likely to be located. The large amount of mucus indicates a colitis, however. Alternatively, presumptive therapy for IBD can be intiated with a glucocorticosteroid such as prednisolone just as was given 6 years ago +/- the antiinflammatory antibiotic metronidazole.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I have to leave my computer for the night but I promise to reply in the morning if need be.