Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat has not had a bowel movement in 8 days. I took him

Customer Question

My cat has not had a bowel movement in 8 days. I took him to the vet 2 times and they
have given him enemas each visit. I have added water to his food both canned and dry.
As a result his litter box shows a lot of water elimination which is good. They also top use Miro-Lax. I mixed a packet in 1 cup of water. He has consumed about a full half cup of
this which I assume is very dangerous. They did blood tests which showed nothing. He acts very normal with no sign of stress at all ... sleeps normally, plays normally, etc.
He is 12 years old . I have read about a cat constipation treatment ... Lax-eze, have not tried it yet. I am really upset and scared, dont't know what to do next!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.Is he eating well?What food does he eat?What do you mean by "They also top use of Miro-Lax."?Has your vet done a rectal exam or abdominal palpation to confirm that there is feces impacted in his colon?Any x-rays of his abdomen done?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes eating well, CD cat food both dry and wet which I now add water to. Mira- LAX the stool softener suggested by Vet yes rectal exam and palpitation... no xrays
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.
And there was impacted feces in his colon from their exam?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.
I am not set up to do phone calls. I can opt out to see if another expert is available that can do phone calls (there may not be), or we can continue the conversation online.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
continue on line
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the information. My concern is that he may have a condition called mega-colon. That can arise when the colon has been impacted long enough that it loses all muscular tone and motility. It can be difficult to manage medically and may need surgical correction. I would definitely have your vet get an x-ray of his abdomen. Mega-colon can usually be diagnosed that way. I am not sure what type of enema your vet was giving. They do make DSS enemas that are preloaded into a syringe to give rectally. Some vets still opt to just give a warm, soapy water enema. It does the trick, but usually requires sedation. Many cats have impactions so bad that they require sedation and manual evacuation of the colon. If your vet has not done that, I would definitely discuss that with them as well. The Miralax is an excellent choice for cats prone to obstipation, but if the colon is not cleaned out manually, it may not help. In some cases, I will also send home preloaded DSS enemas for the owner to give at home. They are easier to give and can be helpful when owners first notice they have gone a couple days without defecation. My confusion is the amount of days he has gone without defecation and how well he is still feeling. That is not typical at all. Usually cats that have a fecal impaction for that long are extremely sick, so I would make sure there is no where else he could have defecated. Look under beds and furniture, in closets and behind appliances. Anywhere he can squeeze into. It would probably help to add some fiber to his diet as well. A teaspoon of either Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin helps to move the bowels better and is beneficial with cats prone to fecal impactions. Lastly, you may want to talk to your vet about starting him on a medication called Cisapride. It helps to stimulate movement of the GI tract. I would have your vet at the very least palpate him to check his colon tomorrow to see if there is built up feces and do a manual evacuation if necessary. If he is still eating, drinking, playing and acting normal; it is not an emergency situation, but I wouldn't want it to go over the weekend. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John