Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as an associate veterinarian working with pets and treating feral felines.

I have a male domestic short hair we got back in August. He

Customer Question

I have a male domestic short hair we got back in August. He will be a year old on May 4th. Wanting some advice on transitioning him from kitten to cat food. Was sent home from the Humane Society with a bag of hard kibble and a can of wet food(pate formula). He currently is being fed a combination of the pate formula and dry food (kitten formula) which he really likes.
1- 1/4 cup dry to munch on during the day and 1/2 a can of wet food during the day. Have made periodic adjustments as his eating habit changes over time since we got him. He is a good weight.
Many thanks,
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. It looks like you have Henry on a good feeding protocol so transitioning to an adult diet should be fairly easy. It is best to stick with the same brands of food that he is doing well on. Hills is a quality brand that has a variety of products that Henry will be able to eat for the rest of his life. The Friskies wet food is fine as long as it is not the majority of his diet. Kibble is important for healthy teeth and weight.You can start by getting Henry adult formulas of the current foods that he is eating. Start by mixing 3/4 of his old food with 1/4 of the new food. Do this for about 1 week, if he has no problems, increase the new food to 1/2 for another week. If he is still doing alright, increase the new food to 3/4 of his diet and 1/4 of the old food for another week. By the fourth week, he will be totally on the new adult diet. As he gets older, his metabolism will change, so just be sure to adjust his food amount so that he doesn't become overweight.I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions that you may have. Thank you and good luck!