Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My cat is pregnant and has looked in a bit of pain over

Customer Question

hi my cat is pregnant and has looked in a bit of pain over last 3 days but still drinking but tonight she gae birth to one kitten and it was dead. sheis still bleed and she smells really bad but she seems ok otherwise. i dont have the money to take her to the vet straight away what can i do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 8 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Luna's situation. This is a situation where there are unknowns. The bleeding that she's having and the odor that you're smelling, that could be an indication that there is a problem with any kittens left in her uterus. Are they alive or are they not? If they are, it may be something that time, rest, and nature are going to get them to come out. For an owner that can't get to the vet's office, they need to have adequate water access and food available and hopefully she continues to eat and drink well and be comfortable. If she's not eating / drinking or acting uncomfortable, bearing down / actively pushing for over an hour with no kittens being born, or the discharge starts to be really bad smelling - then it would be highly suspect that the rest of the kittens aren't being born on their own. I know you said you didn't have the finances to take her to the vet straight away, but at this point, it would be a very good idea to try calling family and friends to see if they can help out. My concern is that she's had some complications and that she's going to need veterinary care to help with the rest being born. She could need a C-section to have them born.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi she is very comfortable and has food and water and she is drinking she seems comfortable she just laying around she has only had one baby though. but she doesnt seem like she is in pain or pushing or anything like that. the blood is more like spotting its not heaps. the smell is not as bad now so i am not sure what is going on. but still trying to get some help so can take her to the vet. but at the moment she seems quiet and sleepy but she is ok it seems. i am a little concerned there is no more cats though.
I'm glad that she's comfortable and drinking some here this morning. Why are no more kittens being born? My concern lies in that she may have a dystocia (malposition of a kitten in the birth canal) or her uterus is fatigued and can't really push well any more. Getting her into the vet will allow them to take some films to see how many are still left and what position / placement they are in.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Luna. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
hi sorry it took me a while to get back to you! i listened to your advice and rang the vet straight away but sadly luna died before we go there :-( I rang vet not caring about the cost etc just thought best for vet to have a look but she died with in an hour and half.:-(
I'm very sorry to hear that she passed away. That is very unfortunate. She must have had major complications with the delivery. If she was bleeding that much, she could have had a uterine tear from the delivery. I am greatly saddened for your loss.