Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat had bad breath while she 6 yrs. old three days

Customer Question

My cat had bad breath for a while she 6 yrs. old three days ago I found what look like the side teeth behind the big long one in front. I looked in her mouth & found that the teeth belong to her. I also noticed that around her gums the teeth was black. Three days later she was fighting with her sister both raised by me at 3 mouths I stopped the fight cause my cat let out a loud scream her front tooth was shifted & I could tell it was bothering her she wiped her mouth until out the tooth falls out ! What can I do?????
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. It sounds like you're dealing with some pretty typical dental disease. The number one cause of bad breath in animals is dental disease. The problem, is that we rarely brush their teeth. This allows tartar and plaque to build up. Eventually, infection gets under the gum line and tooth roots will abscess. The teeth will hurt and that bacteria causes a smell. The treatment, is surgical removal of any infected teeth. We first shoot x-rays to see which roots are infected. This will get you back to square one. The tooth that already fell out is no problem. The hole where the root was will heal up over the next few weeks. It's the rest of the teeth that should be x-rayed and treated as needed. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.