Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My 17 yr old male cat lost appetite 3 wks ago. Brought him

Customer Question

My 17 yr old male cat lost appetite 3 wks ago. Brought him to vet, tried antibiotic. Then brought him back again. Vet said she felt a tumor in his intestine. He had tumor removed from subcutaneous area of stomach in 2014. His bloodwork came back great but was traumatized from them getting a sample. He's spent his time mostly under the bed since. Last visit vet said to be prepared for him to pass on. My gut feeling is he wants to hang on, and I wsnt him to hang on too if hes bot in psin. He eats a little bit hete and there, drinks water, pees regularly, but poops are small balls and not often. Any ideas on what to do next? Ultrasound? But dont want to traumatize him again.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Do you have copies of the blood tests and urinalysis that I could see? Since I can't see and examine him, the more information I have the more I can help. The best way to look at the tumor that your vet could feel in his intestines would be ultrasound. It is not painful, and does not usually require sedation. That would probably give you the most information without being invasive or painful. Other options would be trying him on prednisone, to see if the tumor can be shrunk, and to stimulate his appetite. When the tumor was removed from his stomach in 2014, was a biopsy done to see if that was cancer?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
How is your cat doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?