Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as an associate veterinarian working with pets and treating feral felines.
92155571

There's a stray cat that has large sores behind his ears and

Customer Question

There's a stray cat that has large sores behind his ears and is also missing an ear. He is a super sweetie we tryed getting him help but had trouble getting him into a cage. We haven't tryed it since, I really don't want to loose his trust. I thought neosporin would help but didn't realize it was +pain relief until after I had applied it. I tried to wipe some of it off, will he be okay if he ingests some of it?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 8 months ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. Thank you for trying to help this stray kitty! The pain reliever in the Neosporin can be toxic, but a cat would have to ingest quite a bit of it to be a problem. Chances are he will be fine, but the side effects can be seizures, tremors or irregular heartbeats. Again, if you wiped most of it off, he probably couldn't ingest enough to be a problem.What I worry more about is the sores are more than likely caused by him scratching at his ears because of ear mites or an ear infection. Both can be extremely itchy and cause animals to dig large sores. Look down into his ears, ear mites will look like the ear is filled with dirt and he will involuntarily scratch with his hind leg when you try to clean it out. An ear infection will usually have a 'wetter' appearance. Either issue will need to be treated to completely clear up the sores on the outside.I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can the same thing that clears up ear infections also clear up ear mites or is there something else I should use
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 8 months ago.
Ear infections can usually clear up with daily cleaning and an antibiotic ointment. There are some home remedies for ear mites, but they typically take a parasitacide like Revolution or ivermectin to clear up. Most pet stores and vet clinics will carry them.