Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has a lump on his belly - kind of like his nipple is

Customer Question

My cat has a lump on his belly - kind of like his nipple is inflamed. It is pink and looks scabby but there is no scab. There is no discharge
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.
Can you upload a photo(s) of this lump to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate if I can see what you're seeing.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Oh my - I am at work. Can I upload it tonight when I get home - you can get back to me tomorrow that's ok
I understand. Yes, I'll watch for your next post. Please stay in this conversation rather than opening up a new question.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you! I will have it by today :)
I'll get back to you as soon as I see the pic.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Here it is
Thank you! I can see that Bill has been licking at that lump which has ulcerated it and disguised its original appearance. This can represent a ringworm kerion (a simple fungal infection particularly if Bill is allowed outside) but also a mast cell tumor which although not as dangerous as mast cell tumors in dogs still can be problematic. Jennifer, at Bill's age I don't want to see how an antibiotic or antifungal ointment affects this skin lesion over the next couple of weeks. I'd be more comfortable if Bill's vet fungal cultures and/or punch biopsies this lump in order to clarify what it represents sooner than later.Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you - so you say DON"T use ointments? or - try it for a couple of weeks?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
Correct. That lesion worries me. I don't want to waste precious time seeing if this or that ointment is helpful.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay - well darn. I will make an appointment for him :)
Thank you
You're welcome. Make sure that Bill's vet needle aspirates that lump. Mast cells are easy to see when the aspirate is examined microscopically. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.