Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.

I have 3 sphynx cats. The 3rd just came home 5 weeks ago. The

Customer Question

I have 3 sphynx cats. The 3rd just came home 5 weeks ago. The week before Eddie, the kitten came home, Herman the oldest, started pooping on my rug in another room from the litter boxes. I have moved a litter box to the spot he poop, still pooping next to the box, most times. We have tried different litter boxes and litter, no different result. When he sees us cleaning up the floor poop, herman will go into his box to show is he can poop. He did have very loose stool for a few weeks, now it's clearing up a bit and getting more solid. The it item also has nonstop energy, as kittens do, and he likes to get up in Hermans face. Herman will make a screaming like nosie to get Eddie away from him when he's being too rough. But doesn't have flat ears and his body language seems to be the same. I have a video of Eddie harassing Herman, if that helps? We are just at our wits end trying to solve hermans pooping problem
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear about this situation and if it is any consolation, this is fairly common in cats. From what you have told me, it appears that your sweet Herman is suffering from some type of stress that has caused this inappropriate elimination. This could be due to a territorial issue or some other stress. The first thing to do is to have your vet examine your guy to be sure there is not a medical reason for this behavior. If this is ruled out, the next thing you need to do is to purchase from any pet store a product called Feliway. This is a feline pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will discourage this bad behavior. Follow the directions on the bottle. Next, make sure to change all litter boxes to different places especially where there is little traffic. Keep these boxes extremely clean.Try using different types of litter which I know you have and make sure to clean these areas with an odor eliminator such as Nature’s Miracle.Use aluminum foil or double sided tape in the problem areas which may discourage using these spots.If this is not sufficient, your vet has medication that can help with this problem and, if used along with the Feliway, hopefully, will be successful. These medications are antianxiety drugs such as Fluoxetine or Clomipramine. Here is a website that has more Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Dr lorettaI have used the feliway, I'll pick up a replacement one today. We will rearrange the boxes again today and clean them throughly again. Could I show you the video I have of Eddie gettong rowdy with Herman? Or are you sure that's from stress related? Herman just doesn't stand up for himself with the new kitten. He's not an alpha. Is there any reinforcemwnt training to help Herman gain confidence? We have tried separating him when we aren't home for a week
Good for you. It is worth another try with the Feliway. I do not need to see the video of Eddie getting rowdy with Herman although it is good that you took it just in case it may come in handy at another time. These situations are almost always due to some subtle issue between the cats and /or anxiety over a situation...anything you can do to decrease this is helpful. Since the issues between the cats are enigmas, there is no way to know how to help Herman gain confidence...this may not even be the problem. The other medications that I mentioned are very effective if this does not help....worth a try. Good luck!