Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Customer: ***** ***** falcon didn't my question get passed

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** falcon didn't my question get passed on to yo9u?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My cats ear swelled up and started draining blood soI squeezed it out. how can I secur it so it will not refill?and I know that cats can take amoxicillin about one-eighth ofa 500 mg. However can they take it if it is amoxicillin 875/125 clav k? If so how much would I need to divide it?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes do you have my credit caard info I put in?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. It sounds like you are seeing an aural hematoma. These are due to a blood vessel that ruptures in the ear. The space between the cartilage of the ear and the skin fills with blood and blood clots. The treatment is by draining it and then tacking the the skin down with sutures to the underlying cartilage. This is a quick surgical procedure. From there, it usually heals up nicely. If you do nothing, eventually the swelling will go down on it's own. This usually takes 1-2 months. It's not a true infection, so Amoxicillin is not typically needed. I do use antibiotics if there is an ear infection present. 1/8 of an augmentin (875/125) twice daily for 7 days would be fine. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.