Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as an associate veterinarian working with pets and treating feral felines.

My cats ear swelled up and started draining blood so I

Customer Question

My cats ear swelled up and started draining blood so
I squeezed it out. how can I secur it so it will not refill?
and I know that cats can take amoxicillin about one-eighth of
a 500 mg. However can they take it if it is amoxicillin875/125 clav k? If so how much would I need to divide it?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about your kitty's troubles. There is no good way to secure it besides sutures. Your best bet is to get rid of the cause of the blood. Check inside the ears to make sure there are no earmites or infection. These usually present as black goo down in the ear canal. You can use Clavamox but the dose is 62.5 mg every twelve hours. You can do this by dissolving it in 14 ml of water and then giving 1 ml twice a day. Be sure to mix it well before administering. One pill will treat for 7 days which is enough to get rid of most infections. If the ear is not improving within 3-4 days or it gets worse, it is time to see a veterinarian for an exam and possible prescription medications.I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!