Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

I have a 12yr. old female cat that has recently quit eating

Customer Question

I have a 12yr. old female cat that has recently quit eating & drinking plus has a real hard time swallowing. I switched her from dry food to canned. She ate a couple of bites & then nothing.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 6 months ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.This does sound concerning. Good job trying to tempt her to eat by pulling out her favorite foods and trying different types of foods. When that fails the question becomes if she cannot eat because there is something wrong in her mouth/throat (e.g., ulceration, mass/tumor, infection, neurological problem, etc) or if there is a more overall problem that is leading to profound nausea (e.g., kidney failure, liver disease, infection, cancer, etc). Have you taken her to be examined by her veterinarian yet? If not, then this is the next step and really needed today. The longer a cat goes without taking in enough calories, the more at risk she is to develop problems related to not eating enough (hepatic lipidosis, malnutrition). She needs good examination by her veterinarian followed by some testing which might include lab work (CBC, chemistry profile, urine check, thyroid screen) +/- imaging (radiographs/xrays or ultrasound). With that information you and your veterinarian should be able to narrow down what is going on.If you are unable to have her seen today and want to get her through until tomorrow I may have a few suggestions you could try at home to assuage nausea.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 6 months ago.
Hi Mike,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey